Translate

Tuesday 16 February 2016

Wolf Creek Golf Club - Mesquite, Nevada



I have realised that it has been an alarming period of time since I last blogged. Life has a habit of getting away from you and more recently it has been my professional and family lives that have drawn me away from the game.

However the memories of these wonderful courses that I have had the privilege of playing are ingrained into my mind.

Before the burden of parenthood I always enjoyed my video games and as an owner of an Xbox I have owned a few versions of Tiger Woods PGA Tour. with the opportunity to play most of the worlds great courses, there was always one course that I thought was fictional - Wolf Creek.

A course that looked like it had had a load of golf holes laid over a desert floor with a number of unrealistic elevation changes, I always enjoyed playing it.

So back in 2012 my wife and I were planning a last big blow out holiday before family planning and while we had both been to Las Vegas before separately, we had never been together. We had a nice hotel on the strip and had spared no expense in booking Cirque de Soleil, the Grand Canyon and plenty of partying, I really wanted to see what there was to play.

Situated 90 minutes drive north-east outside of Las Vegas, Wolf Creek is in a place called Mesquite, a gambling town that has been outstripped by the draw of Las Vegas. I was staggered to find that the course actually existed.

My wife kindly accompanied me and was just as shocked as I was with what we had found. Imagine rolling desert hills that have been blown apart with a load of TNT and a lush green golf course with white sandy bunkers laid over the top of it.

I was met at my car by a member of the clubhouse team and greeted with a 'Good morning Mr Wilson' and handed my buggy to take me to the clubhouse. When checking in and paying my fee, the manage admitted he wasn't happy enough with the standards on the course at present and proceeded to slash my green fee and give me my hire clubs for free! If I was being honest I though I was getting a deal as it was!

I was paired up with a couple who had come down from Montana holidaying and were very pleasant to play with, it also helped my wife to have another female to talk to rather than me wittering on all day.

As I said earlier, the course on the Xbox seemed unrealistic, boy was I wrong.



















No comments:

Post a Comment